Yeah, I’m on a sous vide kick. And since you guys are
a bunch of lushes loving my cocktail blog posts, I figured I’d create something cool and exciting for you with my new favorite kitchen toy. How about Sous Vide Infused Vodka – Habanero Style?
When you’re looking for a cocktail
I like it hot… Habanero hot! Infused vodka that’s teeming with a peppery taste and finish adds a layer of complexity and interest to any savory or spicy vodka drink you’re making. (Bloody Marys sound really good right about now, don’t they?)
How To Make Sous Vide Infused Vodka – Habanero Style
Grab a 750ml bottle of vodka and pour into a gallon sized zip top freezer bag (don’t spill it and don’t throw away the bottle!) Add 1-2 habanero peppers that have been cut into quarters. Get rid of all the air in the bag using the displacement method (see below) and zip the bag closed. Place sous vide circulator in
- A note about the peppers – I used 4 habanero peppers the first time I made it, which is great if you don’t really want to feel your tongue or teeth for a little while after you drink it! H
abanerosare hot! So a little modification was necessary.
It turns out that using 1 or 2 habanero peppers gives just the right amount of heat. Use 2 if you love the heat. Use 1 if you
are kind of a baby prefer a more mild, faint burn. And if you’re a little nervous about the whole pepper idea, then definitely start with 1 or 2 jalapeño peppers because they are more mild than habanero. It’s a great way to start!
Here’s the sous vide circulator I have (and love) if you still trying to decide which one to get!
- Get Your Ingredients (Habanero or Jalapeño Peppers)
- Pour the full bottle of vodka into a gallon sized zip top bag and add 1-2 quartered habanero or jalapeño peppers. Submerge the bag, leaving one inch of the zippered top open to allow the air to escape. Watch carefully as the air escapes as you further submerge the bag. As soon as the air (or almost all the air) is out of the bag, zip remaining inch of zipper top to fully close the bag.
- Remove sealed bag while you heat the water with your sous vide circulator. Place circulator in the large pot full of water and set the temperature to 145 degrees. When heated, add bag of vodka and peppers and clip to the side. Set timer to 90 minutes and wait for the magic to happen!
- Carefully remove
bagwhen timeris up and pour the contents through a fine strainer into a large measuring cup.
- Pour the strained Infused Vodka back into the original bottle or into a decorative bottle of choice. Use this vodka anytime you want an extra kick in your vodka cocktails!
And check out my YouTube video here if you want to see it in action!
If you’re looking for other cool sous vide recipes, check out my Sous Vide Burgers! Yum!
Or if you need a cocktail just waiting for your infused vodka, try this one!