Easy camping meals AND comfort food? Yes please! There aren’t many comforts of home I miss when we’re out camping. Sure, a regular toilet would be nice. Maybe a 10 or 15 minute hot shower so I can shave my legs? (Nah… I really don’t miss that part at all!)
But I do sometimes miss good old comfort food that’s been simmering on the stove for hours. And homemade spaghetti sauce is right up there at the top of the list! But we all know by now that I’m all about easy camping meals.
So I was determined to make my homemade spaghetti sauce “camping friendly.” And now you have it – One Pot Spaghetti that’s perfect for your campsite!
Unless you’re connected to shore power or have an endless supply of propane for your cooktop, letting the sauce simmer for hours simply isn’t an option when you’re out camping. And let’s face it, cleaning up all those pots and pans required to make homemade spaghetti sauce to pour over your pasta simply won’t do.
Easy camping meals also need to be easy to clean up. So we’re doing it all in one pot. Yay! And you know what? It actually comes pretty darn close to my homemade-simmer-all-day version!
Yep – it’s loaded with satisfying ground beef, deep onion flavor, rich tomato taste, a blend of Italian seasonings, perfectly cooked pasta, and leaves you with only one pot to clean. Yum. Yum. And Yay! Bring on the comfort food at your campsite!
Here’s the secret – beef broth. It adds a rich-tastes-like-it’s-been-simmering-all-day flavor and also provides the liquid necessary to cook your spaghetti noodles to al dente perfection. Yep – all in the same pot. Other than chopping an onion and some garlic, there’s basically no prep work either.
Just throw it all together, stir well, simmer 9-11 minutes and you’ve got yourself some down-home comfort food as you’re watching the sun go down and the stars pop out. Pretty sweet. Add a nice roaring campfire and that’s about as good as it gets!
Easy Camping Meals Done Right – One Pot Spaghetti
- Brown ground beef with a chopped onion and some garlic until cooked.
- Add crushed tomatoes, tomato paste, tomato sauce (don’t forget your can opener!), beef broth, and Italian seasonings to beef and bring to a simmer.
- Break your spaghetti noodles in half (this will help it cook evenly and also make it easy to eat in a camp chair!)
- Make sure the noodles are well saturated in the sauce and simmer 9-11 minutes until al dente. Stir frequently to prevent sticking.
About the only drawback to this meal is that the smell of homemade spaghetti sauce is sure to bring your neighbors around… so maybe be sure to make a little extra! There probably won’t be leftovers, so a quick wipe of the pot with some paper towels, then a brief scrub and a rinse and you’re all done! Bellies full, cocktail in hand, and perhaps some of these Cinnamon S’mores in the works. Aahhhh….. Nice. Enjoy your evening….
Easy Camping Meals - One Pot Spaghetti
- 2 Tablespoons Cooking Oil
- 1 onion, Chopped
- 3 Cloves garlic, Minced
- 1 Pound ground beef, I use very lean so I don't have to drain the fat
- 1 Teaspoon dried basil
- 1 Teaspoon dried oregano
- Pinch Red Pepper Flakes, Optional
- 2 Cups Beef Broth
- 1 28 Ounce Can Crushed Tomatoes
- 1 8 Ounce Can tomato sauce
- 1 4 Ounce Can tomato paste
- Fresh parsley, Chopped for garnish - optional
- 8 Ounces Dried Spaghetti, Broken in half
- In a large pot, heat up oil over medium high heat for a minute. Add chopped onion and cook until slightly translucent. Add minced garlic and cook for one more minute. Add ground beef and brown until cooked through - approximately 5-7 minutes.
- Add Broth, crushed tomatoes, tomato sauce and tomato paste. Stir well and bring to a simmer. Add spaghetti noodles and stir well. Bring to a simmer and cook uncovered 9-11 minutes, stirring frequently, until pasta is al dente. Serve up in bowls to make it easy to eat at your camp chair!
Heavy Bottom Stainless Steel Pot
Tongs (use these for a ton of stuff!)
Tuesday 17th of January 2023
Would the sauce still work if I cooked the pasta separately?
Sunday 29th of August 2021
We made this camping this year and it was fantastic! It fed 2 adults and 3 kids easily with a little extra leftover. My kids are fussy so the fact everyone ate it & wanted more is impressive!!
Monday 4th of May 2020
Thank you for the one-pot camping spaghetti recipe. I'll add some green onions on the side.
Wednesday 20th of September 2017
Hi Heather, This really only takes half a box of spaghetti (8oz)? That's enough pasta for the amount of liquid? Thanks!
Thursday 21st of September 2017
Hey Caitlin! Yes! Believe it or not, that's the correct amount of pasta. And it actually will feed 4 people!! I originally tried it with more pasta (because there's a lot of liquid) and let's just say it wasn't pretty.... just follow the recipe and you'll be good to go! :)
Casey the College Celiac
Monday 26th of June 2017
I'm actually just going camping for the first time EVER this coming July, so this recipe came at the perfect time!
Monday 26th of June 2017
Good luck with your first trip! I hope you love it as much as we do!! Have fun... :)