The summer evenings are getting cooler. The days are getting shorter. There’s a bit of a chill in the air. Yes, folks, Fall is right around the corner. Time to put away the flip-flops (boooo!) and pull out the comfort food (yay!) And there’s no better way to make comfort food than with the Instant Pot. This Instant Pot Sweet Potato Chili with Ground Turkey is a light but flavorful summer-to-fall comfort food transition.
In less than 30 minutes, you can turn a few basic, easy to find ingredients into a bowlful of hearty, tasty, and satisfying homemade Instant Pot Sweet Potato Chili. Yes, it’s healthy, but don’t let that scare you off! It packs a powerful, flavorful punch!
How to Make Instant Pot Sweet Potato Chili with Ground Turkey
Saute some onion with your ground turkey in your Instant Pot. Add the chili classics – chili powder, cumin, garlic powder, broth, and black beans. Then make it interesting with some sweet potatoes (yams). Secure the Instant Pot lid, select Pressure Cook, and set the timer to 5 minutes. Once cooking is complete, release the pressure, remove the lid, stir and serve with cilantro and sour cream! Sure to be a Fall favorite.
Tips for success
- Peel the sweet potatoes and cut into bite-sized pieces
- Add more chili powder or a pinch of cayenne for a spicier chili
- Don’t skip the fresh cilantro topping. It complements the chili beautifully
- If you like a thicker chili, add an extra potato and stir well when cooked. Breaking down the potato at the end will thicken the chili.
- This recipe is made in my Instant Pot Mini (3 quart), but can easily be made in a standard size. It can also be doubled, if desired.
General Instant Pot Tips
- Store the Instant Pot with the lid inverted to avoid trapping unwanted residual odors.
- It does take time to come to pressure. This recipe (and all of my recipes) include the coming to pressure time in the total cooking time.
- Some starchy foods and very full pots can result in some starchy liquid coming through the pressure release valve when the pressure is released. If this happens, simply close the valve and let the pot sit undisturbed for another 5 minutes and try again.
So when you’re looking for a very easy, very fast, and super tasty weeknight dinner that brings us from hot dogs and hamburgers to wonderful fall comfort food, this Instant Pot Sweet Potato with Ground Turkey Chili does the trick. All in less than 30 minutes! Not bad. Not bad at all….
Need another Instant Pot Comfort Food Favorite? Try my Instant Pot Meatloaf! Yum!!
Here’s my NEW Instant Pot Authorized Holiday Cookbook – full of recipes that will make your holidays tastier and easier!
If you’re looking for MORE INSTANT POT recipes, make sure to check out my Instant Pot Authorized Cookbook specifically for the Mini! Available at your favorite bookseller, including Barnes and Noble and Amazon. Paperback and electronic versions available.