Roasted Chickpea Snacks are just one of those things – you’ve gotta try ’em to appreciate ’em! Welcome to the world of tasty healthy snacks!
As I embark on my clean eating lifestyle (well, kinda clean eating), I’ve discovered that finding convenient, healthy snack alternatives has proven a wee bit difficult. These roasted chickpea snacks are the answer!
The beautiful thing about the chickpea (also called garbanzo beans) is that it’s kind of like a blank canvas. Keep the flavors as simple or as complex as you like. Spicy? Savory? Sweet? Salt and pepper naked? All good! You can also toss them on this amazing tossed salad!
How to Make Roasted Chickpea Snacks?
It’s super easy to make roasted chickpea snacks! Rinse and dry a can of chickpeas. Drizzle a little olive oil, sprinkle with your favorite spices. Then pop into an air fryer or an oven. That’s it! So simple. See below for the full recipe and be sure to keep reading for more tips.
How to Get Crispy Roasted Chickpeas?
There are a few tricks to ensure the crispiest roasted chickpea snacks. Follow these simple steps and you’re be crunching your way to deliciousness in no time.
- Use your air fryer – the crispiest and crunchiest chickpeas will come from your air fryer (This is my air fryer and I love it!). But you can also use an oven.
- Thoroughly dry the chickpeas – After you rinse the chickpeas, be sure to spread them out on a paper towel lined tray or plate. Then pat very dry with additional paper towels. The drier, the crispier.
- Remove the skins – This step is totally optional, but it will give you even crisper chickpeas. When you dry them with the paper towels, roll them around until many of the skins fall off. It takes a little extra time, but worth it if you’re really going for crisp!
- Dry roast for 15 minutes then add oil – It helps to roast the chickpeas completely dry for 15 minutes before adding the oil and seasonings if you’re making them in the oven. Then pop them back in the oven for the remaining roasting time.
- Leave in the oven with door ajar – After the cooking time is complete, open your oven door a bit and allow the roasted chickpeas to cool in the warm oven for an additional 15 minutes.
Ingredients used in this recipe (full recipe below)
- Chickpeas – The star of the show! These little morsels are loaded with fiber, protein, and folate.
- Sea Salt – This add a satisfying saltiness for a perfect snack.
- Smoked Paprika (or regular paprika) – Paprika adds a nice depth of flavor to each bite.
- Chili Powder – Known for it’s subtle hint of heat.
- Cayenne Pepper – This gives the roasted chickpea snacks a distictive pop of heat. Optional if you don’t like spiciness.
Air Fry or Oven Baked
Spoiler alert – the best way to make these roasted chickpea snacks is in an air fryer. It’s quick and easy and yields the perfect crunch. Just toss them with a bit of olive oil, sprinkle on your seasonings of choice, and pop them in the air fryer basket for 12-15 minutes. Give them a good shake halfway through. And that’s it!
They can definitely be made in the oven, too. It takes a little more effort and some more time. The key to success in making roasted chickpeas in the oven is to completely dry them first!
Don’t skip this step. Drain and rinse the chickpeas, then spread them out on a towel and pat dry with another towel. Be sure to roll them around to get all the surface area dry.
Then you’re going to want to “pre-bake” them. Place the dry chickpeas on a rimmed baking sheet into a 425 degree oven and let them bake for about 15 minutes. Then take them out and toss them with a little oil and the spices. Put them back in the oven for another 30 to 45 minutes. Stir 2-3 times during the baking process.
How long will roasted chickpeas last?
The best way to keep them crunchy is to keep them uncovered in a dish out on your countertop. The chickpeas will stay crunchy 3-4 days if you made them in the air fryer and 2-3 days if you made them in the oven.
So, there you have it! One of the most satisfying, easiest to make, healthy, hearty clean eating snacks. Enjoy!
- 1 ½ cups canned or cooked chickpeas - drained, rinsed, and patted dry
- 2 teaspoons olive oil (can use avocado oil)
- Spicy Version:
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- ½ teaspoon smoked paprika
- ½ teaspoon chipotle chili powder
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Sweet Version:
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar (or granulated sugar substitute such as Truvia)
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Pinch nutmeg
- Simple Version:
- 1 ½ teaspoons salt
- ½ teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- Heat oven to 425 degrees if baking.
- Drain and rinse chickpeas then pat dry. Drizzle with olive oil and toss until well coated.
- In a small bowl, mix spices (sea salt, smoked paprika, chipotle chili powder, and cayenne for the spicy version) or (sugar, cinnamon and nutmeg for the sweet version). Or salt and pepper to keep it simple.
- Sprinkle spices on chickpeas and toss to combine.
- Spread chickpeas in a single layer on a rimmed baking sheet that has been sprayed with nonstick spray.
- Bake for 45 minutes, stirring occasionally. When the time is complete, open the oven door a few inches and allow to cool while in the warm oven for 15 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and spread on a plate to complete the cooling process.
- Store in a dish uncovered at room temperature for up to 2-3 days.
For the OVEN:
For the AIR FRYER:
- Turn the air fryer on to 390 degrees. Some air fryers require pre-heating and others don't so please consult your owner's manual.
- Spread the chickpeas into the air fryer basket and cook for 12-15 minutes, shaking once halfway through the cooking process. Start checking them at the 12 minute mark to ensure they do not burn. The sweet version has a tendency to char sooner due to the sugar.
- Remove from the air fryer and store in an uncovered dish at room temperature for 4-5 days.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.