You all know by now that I love camping! I’ve done everything from backpacking with a tent (when I nearly killed myself trying to hike FlatIron alone) to cramming my kids into a small popup (when we almost got attacked by wild raccoons) to “glamping” it up in a 40 foot class A motor home (yeah, there was that time I blew out one of the massive $800 tires… Ouch! But we did have some awesome Sloppy Joes that night!) All of it good. All of it fun! But no matter how you camp, food and food prep is a critical piece to a fun and successful camping trip. My food motto is Keep it Simple. Keep it Tasty. And Keep it Easy to Clean. This Fresh Steamed Broccoli hits the mark on all three!
Camping season is upon us! There aren’t many things more exciting than pulling out that tent and backpack or RV to get it ready for an outdoor adventure. I will focus The Spicy Apron this summer on outdoor cooking (yay!) Some recipes will be great for camping. Others perfect for a backyard BBQ. And all of them can still be made in your own kitchen when you need something quick and easy, but aren’t able to get outside. (But I highly recommend you get outside as often as possible…. it’s great for the soul!)
My camping cooking system has evolved over the years… what started out clunky and cumbersome is now light, efficient, and oh so easy! But the fundamentals haven’t changed. I want our camping experience to include real food. Good food. Food that seems like it was prepared in a fancy kitchen at home, but actually comes together in a flash at the campsite. And that’s where my Fresh Steamed Broccoli comes in. It’s a family favorite when I make it at home (here’s the at-home version), so I was determined to modify the process to fit my camping cooking motto – Simple. Tasty. Mess-Free.
Experienced campers are well aware that foil is your friend! Whether you’re cooking on a campfire grill, a charcoal grill, or cast iron over a roaring fire, most great camping meals involve aluminum foil. It’s easy to pack. Takes up almost no room. And, of course, you scrunch it up and throw it away when you’re all done. No muss. No fuss. It is the foundation for my Fresh Steamed Broccoli at the campsite method – 3 easy steps.
Here’s How to Make Fresh Steamed Broccoli When Camping!
- Wash and cut the fresh broccoli at home.
- Put uncooked fresh broccoli in a large zip top bag and drizzle with 2 Tablespoons of good olive oil.
- At the campsite, pull out two large layers of foil. Put the prepared broccoli on the foil and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Curl the foil up on the edges and add 1/2 cup water, chicken broth, or white wine (my personal favorite). Seal foil tightly (allowing some room for steam) and place over heat source for 10-12 minutes. Remove foil pouch from heat and carefully open, allowing steam to escape. Serve with whatever other awesome food you’re making.
Now that you’ve got the broccoli basics down, pull out that camper, tent, or trailer. Pick an amazing location, and hit the road! Take your camera and a 6 pack of good beer or a box of wine. Breathe in the fresh air and eat some good food. Rejuvenate your soul! (Here are more Camping Food Planning Tips!)
Things I use for this recipe:
My Favorite Grill (I can’t say enough good things about this grill!)
Need something to go with that perfect broccoli? Try these! They’re all super easy!
Also try this Ranch Chicken and Veggies Foil Packet Dinner if you’re looking for a quick and easy full meal!
To me a lush carpet of pine needles or spongy grass is more welcome than the most luxurious Persian rug ~Helen Keller
Steamed Broccoli is a great Camping Food
- 2 Large Broccoli Crowns
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 Cup Water, Broth or White wine work too
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- While still at home, cut florets off broccoli crowns into 1-2 inch pieces. Put in gallon size zip top bag and drizzle with olive oil. Seal bag and shake to distribute the oil.
- At campsite, layer 2 large layers of aluminum foil together and curl up the edges to hold the broccoli. Empty broccoli and oil from zip top bag onto foil. (Add a few pats of butter if you have it and you like it). Create a large foil pouch/ball with the broccoli, leaving a small opening at the top. Pour water (or broth or wine) into the top and seal completely.
- Put on top of heat source (hot coals, camp stove, etc.) and simmer for 10-12 minutes. Carefully remove from heat and serve immediately. Salt and pepper to taste.
Sunday 21st of June 2020
I do this on the grill at home. Very simple, I put the broccoli packet on the grate and let it steam while I'm prepping my steaks.