Some days are –
I can’t wait to spend hours in the kitchen whipping up something fabulous I just want to throw something easy together for dinner and I don’t even care if it’s any good – kind of days. Such was the case the day I made my rich, meaty, hearty Goulash Recipe! And truth be told… it was actually good. Really good!
Thick, beefy, warm, tons of flavor, and super easy to make… Yep, this Goulash recipe has all the requirements to make it a top contender on The Spicy Apron. It was great that easy, lazy evening I made it at home, but it’s even better out camping. A perfect make-ahead meal. And sometimes that’s just what we need. If fact, sometimes it’s the only thing we need!
Let me explain – if you read my Energy Balls post, then you already know all about my O.M.G.-I-never-knew-we’d-be-wading-through-chest-deep-ice-cold-water-just-to-find-a-less-than-ideal-campsite-for-us-to-pitch-our-tent. Let’s just say. we were COLD! We needed something to warm us up from the inside out (whiskey may have been the best option had I thought to bring some!)
Thankfully, this make-ahead, soul-warming Goulash is one of the things I did think to bring! It was exactly what we needed. Once we had changed out of our wet clothes, pitched our tent, and started a (rather pathetic) fire, getting something warm and comforting into our bellies was next up! I pulled out of my pack the zip top bag stuffed full of the fabulous Goulash that I had made and frozen the night before, plopped it into our wonderful Jet Boil Camp Stove (that thing never fails me!), heated it up, and we ate (and ate, and ate) until we couldn’t eat anymore. It was delicious and took almost no time to prepare the night before.
Here’s The Goulash Recipe That Will Warm Your Heart and Soul!
Brown some ground beef then toss in some diced onion and bell pepper. Once veggies are softened, add some diced tomatoes, water, Worcestershire Sauce, soy sauce, and Italian seasonings. Bring to a boil and add macaroni noodles. Return to a boil, reduce heat and simmer, covered, for 20 minutes. Serve immediately or cool/freeze for another time.
So whether you’re needing a super simple, lazy day kind of dinner for the fam, or you’re heading out on your own camping adventure (you might want to avoid the whole hiking for hours through ice cold water thing), this Goulash Recipe is sure to hit the spot, warm you up, and make you feel like you got a nice hug from the inside out. And of course, it’s simple, tasty, and easy to clean! (Gotta stick with The Spicy Apron motto…)
Watch me make it on The Spicy Apron Cooking Show!
(If you see double when you watch, switch to the full YouTube App to check it out in 360 degree and Virtual Reality!)
Goulash Recipe - Easy Make Ahead Meal for Camping
- 1 Tablespoon Vegetable Oil
- 1 Pound ground beef
- 1 onion, Diced
- 1 Green Bell Pepper, Seeded and Diced
- 2 Cloves garlic, Minced
- 1 Tablespoon Italian Seasoning
- 1 Teaspoon salt
- 1 28 Ounce Can Diced Tomatoes
- 1 1/2 Cups Water
- 1 Tablespoon Worcestershire Sauce
- 1 Teaspoon soy sauce
- 1/2 Pound Dry Macaroni Noodles
- Add oil to a large hot skillet. Add ground beef and cook over high heat until nearly cooked through (approx 3-5 minutes). Add onion, bell pepper, and garlic and cook until vegetables just begin to soften (approx 2 minutes).
- Add Italian seasoning, salt, diced tomatoes, water, Worcestershire Sauce, soy sauce, and macaroni noodles. Stir well, cover and bring to a simmer. Reduce heat to maintain slow simmer. Cover and cook until macaroni is al dente. (Approximately 15-20 minutes)
- Serve immediately or cool to room temperature, put in a large zip top freezer bag and freeze to serve later (when you on an awesome camping trip!)