Crispy Air Fryer Sweet Potato Fries may just be the holy grail of healthy snacks. They’re fluffy on the inside, crispy on the outside, a little sweet and a little savory, and they’re actually good for you! And oh so satisfying!
For those of you who have followed my health journey, you know of my love-love relationship with fries. Hands down one of my favorite foods. So when I made the clean eating lifestyle switch, McDonald’s fries had to go. So sad!
I was determined to find an acceptable alternative. And that’s when I perfect these crispy air fryer sweet potato fries. Yes, there are a few secrets to making sweet potato fries that are not soggy. Read on to find out how! (My Air Fryer Roasted Chickpeas are also a great healthy snack if you’re looking for something super quick and easy!)
Should You Soak Your Sweet Potatoes Before Air Frying?
Yes! That’s the short answer. You may be wondering why you would soak your air fryer sweet potato fries before frying. Starch. You want to remove the starch.
Soaking the fries in cold water for an hour will remove some of the starch that will otherwise make the sweet potato fries soggy and stick together. It’s all in the science! (I’m kind of a science geek! Here’s some more detail on soaking potatoes before cooking)
Wondering “Why Don’t My Sweet Potato Fries Come Out Crispy?”
Soaking is important but it’s not the only secret to crispy air fryer sweet potato fries. Cornstarch. That’s the real secret! And a little goes a long way. Just a sprinkle along with the other spices will ensure light and fluffy crispy sweet potato fries.
The cornstarch provides a very nice “shell” on the outside of the sweet potatoes to keep them crisp and prevent them from sticking to each other.
Finally, be sure not to overcrowd the air fryer basket. You may have to air fry the sweet potatoes in two batches if your potatoes are large. (Don’t be afraid to nibble on the first batch to come out while you’re waiting for the second!) It also helps to keep that first batch on a cookie sheet in a 250-degree oven just to keep them warm and crispy.
And you can make all kinds of amazing dishes when they come out all crispy like that! (Loaded air fryer sweet potato fries recipe coming soon!)
Ingredients for Crispy Sweet Potato Fries (full recipe below)
- 2 Medium Sweet Potatoes – sweet potatoes are an excellent alternative to white potatoes. Low in sodium and they’re loaded with vitamins A and C.
- Avocado Oil – This is a healthier alternative to vegetable or canola oil. Plus its higher smoke point makes it a great choice for the air fryer.
- Salt – It’s best to start with less than you think you’ll need and add more after they’re cooked. (I start with 1/2 teaspoon)
- Pepper – Also pepper to taste – I start with 1/4 teaspoon
- Cayenne Pepper – The heat is a great complement to the sweet of the potato. But feel free to omit if you don’t like spicy.
- Cornstarch – This is a necessity if you’re really after the crispiest fries. You can leave it out, but you will end up with less crispy fries (still good though!)
How to Make Crispy Sweet Potato Fries
Peel the sweet potatoes and cut off the thin part of the ends. Cut into strips. Either use a french fry cutter or cut by hand. I cut by hand by cutting the potato in half lengthwise then into strips. Aim for 1/4″-1/2″ strips. The thinner ones will be crispier than the thicker ones.
Soak the sweet potato strips in a bowl of cold water for one hour. (Don’t skip this step if you really want crispy!) Then be sure to thoroughly dry the strips after soaking.
Toss the strips with a little avocado oil and the seasonings. Set your air fryer to 380 degrees. (Some manufacturers require preheating and others do not, so be sure to read the instructions for yours.) Air fry for 12 minutes to start, shaking halfway through. Then add more time as needed.
That’s it! Dig in and enjoy this healthier alternative to traditional french fries. (Not gonna lie… I do miss them!)
Kitchen Items Used in This Recipe:
- My Air Fryer: https://amzn.to/2Wm1BHc
- French Fry Cutter (if using one): https://amzn.to/3vbbsiy
- Silicone Tipped Tongs: https://amzn.to/3Ik9Nes
More Clean Eating Recipes:
- 2 medium sweet potatoes
- 1 tablespoon avocado oil (can use other vegetable oil)
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1/2 teaspoon salt (plus more to taste)
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Cut off the skinny ends of the sweet potatoes and scrub and peel them. You can leave the skins on for texture if you prefer.
- Slice the potatoes into strips with a french fry slicer or by hand. If slicing by hand, first slice the potato lengthwise in half. Lay flat then slice into even-sized strips approximately 1/4"-1/2' thick.
- Soak the potato strips in cold water for one hour then remove and pat dry.
- In a small bowl, whisk together cornstarch, salt, pepper, and cayenne pepper.
- In a large bowl, drizzle oil over sweet potato strips and toss to coat. Add seasonings and toss again to evenly coat.
- Set air fryer to 380 degrees. Preheat if necessary. Place sweet potatoes in a single layer in the air fryer basket. Cook for 12 minutes, shaking halfway through. Then check for doneness. Add 1-2 minutes at a time until desired crispiness.
- Serve immediately or keep warm on a cookie sheet in a 250 degree oven while cooking a second batch, if necessary.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 90Total Fat: 4gSaturated Fat: 0gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 3gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 285mgCarbohydrates: 14gFiber: 2gSugar: 4gProtein: 1g
This post may contain affiliate links to various products. I may get a very small percentage of anything you purchase with these links, but It will not cost you more if you use these links. Thank you for your support.