Eggs. A source of pleasure. And a source of frustration. Especially when camping! Back in my I-love-camping-but-I-have-no-idea-what-I’m-doing phase, I couldn’t wait to bring dozens of eggs camping – fresh scrambled eggs with a big slab of bacon while sipping a cup of hot coffee by the morning campfire? Awesome! Toasted Egg Salad Sandwiches after a strenuous morning hike? Perfect! But I’ve got news for all of you… fresh, raw eggs break (yeah, I know… duh!) And when they do, it’s a sticky, slimy, ugly mess. And not one that I want to ever clean up again. Yes, I’ve been the victim of the raw-eggs-breaking-while-camping disaster. So now my Camping Food Ideas – including this amazing campsite Egg Salad Sandwich – ensure you won’t suffer the same experience.
There’s just something about a hearty and satisfying Toasted Egg Salad Sandwich that motivated me to figure out the easiest and best way to bring one camping. And my newfound camping food motto: Keep it Simple. Keep it Tasty. Keep it Easy to Clean most definitely applies to all things eggs.
The Toasted Egg Salad Sandwich – One of the Best Camping Food Ideas
If easy and tasty is what you want, that’s what you’ll get with this one!
- Hard boil and peel eggs at home. (And if you have an Instant Pot, well.. that’s the easiest way to make them. See the recipe here!)
- Smash eggs with mustard, mayo, diced celery, salt, and pepper and place in zip top bag at home.
- Bring bag of egg salad mixture and a few slices of high quality bread camping (takes up almost no space!)
- Assemble at campsite in less than 2 minutes. That’s it! You’re done!!
Let’s briefly talk about toasting the bread… Toasting can be a bit of a challenge when camping (unless you’re one of the few who takes a toaster camping with you – yes, I’ve done that too…) But if you’re like everyone else, you need an easy way to get that warm, toasty, crisp but tender bread/toast experience that envelops your creamy and filling egg salad. (Are you hungry yet??)
There’s this really nifty, lightweight, portable, foldable campfire toaster. I’ve had one, and I got pretty good results from it. It can be placed on top of your camping stove at can toast 4 slices at a time. Another option is to toast your bread in a little butter in a skillet over the camp stove. Finally (my favorite because I love all things grilled…!) is to toast it directly on your camp grill. (My regular readers know I’m a HUGE fan of our new Weber Q 1200!!). Anyway you toast it, you’ll love the warm, crisp and tender addition toasted bread brings to this creamy, flavorful, stick-to-your-ribs Toasted Egg Salad Sandwich – one of the ultimate Easy Camping Food Ideas!
Comment below with your favorite camping sandwich. I’d love to hear about it!!
Camping Food Ideas: Egg Salad Sandwich. Delish!
- 4 Eggs, Hardboiled and Peeled
- 1/2 Cup Mayonnnaise
- 2 Teaspoons Yellow Mustard
- 2 Stalks Celery, Sliced Crosswise
- 1 Teaspoon salt
- 1/2 Teaspoon Pepper
- While still at home, place raw eggs into a small saucepan. Add enough cold water to the pot to just cover the eggs. Bring to a boil (uncovered), then immediately turn heat off. Cover eggs and let sit in water for 20 minutes. Rinse in cool water and peel.
- Smash peeled eggs with a fork in a medium bowl. Add mayonnaise, mustard, celery, salt, and pepper. Blend well. Let cool to room temperature and place in a zip top bag. Refrigerate until you assemble the sandwiches.
- At the campsite, toast 4 slices of bread by preferred toasting method (see above). Scoop half the egg mixture onto one piece of toast and top with another piece of toast. Repeat for second sandwich. Enjoy your easy camping sandwich!
Monday 22nd of August 2016
I'm not much of a camper but I'm going to file this idea away and hope I go someday soon. GREG
Tuesday 23rd of August 2016
Thanks Greg! Maybe the post I put out today on Camping Happy Hour is more your style! Lol! :) https://thespicyapron.com/recipe/camping-happy-hour-wine-whiskey/