This is an anti inflammatory smoothie at its best. A tropical concoction loaded with pineapple, ginger, banana and, of course, turmeric! And it all comes together in about 2 minutes.
What are the benefits of an anti inflammatory diet?
There are lots of reasons people are turning to an anti inflammatory diet. The science behind it is extensive and mounting.
Diets that reduce inflammation have many benefits such as reducing cancer risk and obesity, improving arthritis, inflammatory bowel disease and other autoimmune disorders, and many other positive health effects. Who doesn’t want that??
And this anti inflammatory smoothie is a quick, easy, and tasty way to jumpstart your journey to fight inflammation.
The Best Anti Inflammatory Smoothie
So, why do I call this one the best smoothie to fight inflammation? Because it’s loaded with tons of ingredients that are known to help your body reduce inflammation. Plus one sip and you’ll feel like you’re sitting on a tropical island, palm trees swaying, and toes in the lapping warm gentle waves. Yes, it’s that good!
What ingredients reduce inflammation?
Thankfully, there are many spices and foods that are known to reduce inflammation. This anti inflammatory smoothie has several – ginger and turmeric are well-studied and well known to fight inflammation. The coconut milk has lauric acid, which has been found to have anti inflammatory effects, and pineapple has also been found to have inflammation fighting properties.
And they all come together in this blended whirlwind of awesomeness! (I’m thinking that a splash of rum would be fantastic, but alas… we don’t want to negate all those wonderful health benefits wrapped up in this anti inflammatory smoothie, do we? Well, maybe occasionally.)
Be sure to check out my FREE Top 10 Anti Inflammatory Foods to Eat and Avoid here!
Ingredients in this Anit Inflammatory Smoothie
- Coconut Milk – Rich and creamy and gives this healthy smoothie that wonderful tropical taste.
- Banana – This is what makes it espeically creamy! Plus you get a nice dose of vitamin B6 and C.
- Pineapple – The flavor of fresh pineapple can’t be beat! And it’s known for it’s anti inflammatory properties, as well as helping with digestion.
- Turmeric – This is the king of anti-inflammatory spices. It is well-known that turmeric is loaded with health benefits.
- Ginger – One of the best gut calming ingredients around.
- Ground Flax Seed – I throw this in for added thickness and added nutrients.
Tips for making the best smoothie
- Use a high speed, high powered blender – Mincing up that ginger and crushing ice cubes takes power and speed. I highly recommend getting a powerful blender if you are serious about the anti inflammatory smoothie route. You’ll thank me later! (I use my CookingPal Multo almost daily and I most definitely recommend it – for lots of reasons!)
- Liquids go in first (after the ginger is chopped). This makes it much easier for the blender to do it’s magic.
- Fresh ingredients are best, but powdered ginger and other spices can be used in a pinch.
- Turmeric stains – That beautiful bright yellow color is lovely, but it can stain your clothes and coutertops if not removed pretty quickly.
- Ice or no ice – this one comes down to personal preference. And I switch it up all the time when making my anti inflammatory smoothie. Adding ice ads bulk and makes the smoothie very cold. But it can also dilute the flavor and reduce creaminess. Go with what strikes you at the time. You won’t be disappointed.
- Pulsing helps a lot – depending on the ingredients used in any particular smoothie, it may be beneficial to pulse the blender a few times to make sure everything gets fully blended.
Watch me make this tropical smoothie here!
How to make the perfect anti inflammatory smoothie
- Mince the ginger in a high speed blender (here’s the blender I use and love)
- Add the milk, banana, pineapple, turmeric, and ice
- Blend on high speed for 2 minutes, pulsing or 3 times
- Serve in a cold glass and drink in the goodness!
Can I freeze fresh pineapple?
There’s not much more tropical than fresh pineapple. And canned doesn’t even come close to the taste of fresh. So I buy fresh when possible. Cut it into bite-sized chunks and freeze it for later use when you’re craving an anti inflammatory smoothie. It’s worth the extra effort!
This tropical anti inflammatory smoothie is always my go-to when I want something quick and easy and will make me feel great! Give it a shot and post a pic on IG! Don’t forget to tag me @the_spicy_apron
- 1 teaspoon fresh ginger (about 1 inch, peeled)
- 8 ounces coconut milk (can use nut milk of choice)
- 1 frozen banana (cut into thirds)
- 1 cup frozen pineapple chunks
- 1 teaspoon ground flax seed
- 1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
- Pinch ground cinnamon
- 2-3 ice cubes (optional)
- Put peeled ginger into a high-speed blender and pulse for 5-10 seconds until finely chopped.
- Add coconut milk, banana, pineapple, flax seed, turmeric, cinnamon, and ice (if using) and blend on high for 2 minutes.
- Scrape down the sides of the blender and pour into a cold glass.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.